12 New Year’s Resolutions Ideas for Better Health
READING TIME: 4 MINUTES
Is this the year you finally go vegetarian, vegan? Great! Stick with us for recipes and support, especially on our vegetarian Facebook Page.
What about your other goals? Are you unsure which of your priorities is most important in the New Year?
At vegebody.com we’re all about overall health. In addition to going veg check out these 12 resolutions you can make to improve your physical and mental well being during the next 12 months and beyond.
Resolutions to Improve Your Physical Health
- Exercise daily. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise every day. Round that out with training for strength and flexibility.
- Shoot for a seven day exercise schedule as there will be times each week you may miss a workout.
- Find a variety of activities that you enjoy, like brisk walks and biking.
- Get an exercise ball or treadmill that you can use at home on busy days or when the weather outside is unpleasant.
- Get adequate rest and sleep. Insufficient sleep can make you more vulnerable to weight gain and many illnesses. Different individuals need different amounts of sleep, but the conventional eight hours is a good rule for most people. If you constantly feel drowsy, try going to bed earlier.
- Take care of your bones. Almost half of all women over 50 will suffer an osteoporosis-related fracture. Men can be at risk too. Eat plenty of foods rich in calcium and vitamin D. Get some sunshine and lift weights or do other resistance training.
- Practice good posture. Strong abdominal muscles will protect your back from injury and help you look younger. Get used to pressing your navel towards your lower back and keeping your shoulders relaxed. Breathe from your abdomen rather than your chest.
- Quit smoking. You probably already know all the dangers of smoking, including lung cancer and premature aging.
- Many people make several attempts before quitting for good so be open to various cessation methods. Your doctor may be able to help you find the right plan for you.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Some people may need to avoid alcohol all together. Others can stay safe within the general limits of one drink a day for women and two for men. Avoid alcohol before bed so you get good quality sleep.
Resolutions to Improve Your Mental Health
- Manage stress. Keeping stress under control lets you enjoy life more. Set aside time each day for meditation or listening to soothing music.
- Build healthy relationships. Develop a strong network of support. Communicate openly and with respect.
- Monitor your thoughts. Think positive. Divert your attention away from nonproductive worrying by brainstorming creative solutions to challenging situations.
- Practice positive self talk. Be a good friend to yourself. Remind yourself of your strengths and accomplishments.
- Be compassionate. Show compassion to yourself and others. Be aware of the suffering in the world and look for ways to alleviate it.
- Engage in lifelong learning. Keep your mind sharp by giving it constant challenges. Take adult education classes or listen to foreign language tapes.
While many New Year’s resolutions get discarded faster than the dried out Christmas tree, there are ways to make them stick. Set specific goals that are meaningful and attainable for you. Improving your physical and mental health is a great gift for yourself and your whole family.
During January we’re going to post several diet and fitness articles to help you build momentum to carry you through the rest of the year. Make sure you subscribe via Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or RSS so you won’t miss a beat!