Eggplant casserole makes up for comfort food or a cheat day meal with absolutely zero guilt. Prepared with an appetizing array of vegetables and condiments (you’ll have most of these on hand), this dish requires very little effort. If you short on time and patience put everything (except eggs, breadcrumbs and parmesans) in a sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes then proceed with the baking steps. This dish can easily be transformed into a vegan gluten free dish by skipping the eggs and whole wheat breadcrumbs. Try to add flaxseed meal and ground sunflower seeds instead.
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Active Cooking Time 10 minutes
Ready in 20 minutes
Difficulty Level medium
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil for brushing
- 2 small tomato
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 cup mushroom
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon bread crumb
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven at 350 F (180 C)
- Spray both sides of eggplants with cooking spray or brush with oil, arrange in a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile slice tomato, bell pepper, mushrooms.
- When eggplants are done, mix with vegetables, onions, garlic, tomato sauce, egg, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Arrange on a casserole. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and parmesans and bake for 15 minutes, until cheese turns golden. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving