Vegan Gnocchi with Tomato Chili Pasta Sauce
VEGAN GNOCCHI WITH TOMATO CHILI PASTA SAUCE RECIPE
For the gnocchi:
10 medium sized sebago potatoes, peeled
100g ground linseed/flaxseed
170g plain flour
For the pasta sauce:
2 450g can of tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
5 chilies, finely chopped
1 cup fresh basil (plus a few leaves for garnish)
- Pasta Sauce – combine tomatoes, minced garlic, chili and basil in a pan, simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gnocchi – Boil potatoes then place in the oven on a low heat for 10 minutes to dry them out. Push cooked potatoes through a sieve (tip: mashing is an acceptable substitute for a sieve but will change the texture of the gnocchi slightly).
- Add ground linseed/flaxseed and flour to the potato mixture, mix to form a dough.
- On a floured work area, roll dough into long thin straws, about 1 inch in diameter. Cut dough into 2cm cubes and press gently with a fork to shape.
- Place them into a pot of salted boiling water, after the gnocchi floats in the boiling water, cook for a further 1 - 2 minutes, then drain.
- Serve gnocchi topped with tomato pasta sauce and fresh basil leaves.
TIP: To stop gnocchi sticking after it has been cooked, toss them in a little oil.